Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Oooops…

As promised yesterday, I am posting the progress on my Pumpkin Promenade tablerunner. It’s a good thing I promised, because if I hadn’t, I would not have discovered a crucial error!

Check out the center pumpkin….now why wouldn’t she space the stars a little further apart instead of having two of them lined up vertically, you ask?
Well, she wasn’t paying attention, and didn’t realize that the center pumpkin is wide and short as opposed to large and tall! If you turn the pumpkin vertically, the stars look a little more like the pattern picture indicates - but still not great. (I didn't take a picture of the pumpkin turned vertically) So since the stars are already fused in place, I’ll need to cut a new one! Also, the patterns calls for everything to be sewn down with blanket stitch. I decided to make it look more primitive and will be using a straight stitch for all the pumpkin decorations - and possibly even the vertical bars. Another thing I may do is vary the stems a bit more, which will involve cutting a few more.

One thing I don’t like is that the pattern calls for leaving the backing paper of the Steam a Seam 2 Lite on while stitching the stars and dots on. This is annoying as all get-out. No way do I want to stitch through the paper - it will totally pull on the embroidery stitches when it’s pulled off. So I’m trying to stitch the top portion of the piece without piercing the paper. But, the paper comes off anyway, leaving the fusible web exposed. If I do something like this again, I may decide to use a water soluble glue such as Quilters Choice Basting glue instead of fusible web. And to tell you the truth, I don’t think any fusible is necessary as each piece is stitched separately anyway. Live and learn!

Cheers,

Candace